Happy International Women's Day! #IWD2021 is themed #ChooseToChallenge and with that, this week we're choosing to challenge the idea that there is no way to accomplish work life balance and there is no time for self-care. If you’re juggling responsibilities at home and work, it can be difficult to carve out time to sit down and meditate. While you’re trying to organize your days, you can still start living more meditatively right now. Take a look at these practical ideas for building more reflection and mindfulness into your routines.
Benefits of Living Meditatively
1. Increase your peace of mind. Even brief periods of meditation help to clear your mind of nagging concerns and pointless regrets. You’ll soon feel more relaxed and at ease. With your mind at peace, you can still feel content when you miss the last bus or lock your keys inside your car. 2. Accomplish more. Clarity of mind enhances your thinking and decision making. You manage your time effectively and achieve more with less effort.
3. Enjoy greater happiness. Once you start living meditatively, be prepared to smile frequently and feel more optimistic. The kindness and affection you offer to others will be returned to you many times over.
Basic Principles of Living Meditatively
1. Slow down. Do you feel like you are being swept along by external circumstances and obligations? Moving at a more leisurely pace enables you to take control. Set priorities and think strategically about how you want to allocate your resources.
2. Focus your attention. It’s easy to wind up being pulled in multiple directions. Set aside distractions and give your full attention to one task. Notice how much more quickly you complete your grocery shopping without forgetting a single item that you need for dinner.
3. Observe your surroundings. Extend your awareness outwards. Appreciate the beauty of nature. Seize opportunities to make a new friend or acquire a valuable career skill. 4. Let go of expectations. Expectations can undermine your happiness. Realize that much of life is uncertain, but you can shape your experiences by how you decide to respond to events. Resolve to learn from your mishaps and persevere through discomfort. 5. Generate compassion. Remember that you have plenty of company in adversity. Reach out to an acquaintance or coworker who looks like they need a helping hand. Validate the struggles of others and wish them well.
6. Express gratitude. Write up a list of the many things you have to be thankful for. Post it somewhere you can see it each morning. Tell others how they bring more joy into your life and help you to build your character.
Today, and every day, add some mindfulness and meditation to your life! Happy #InternationalWomensDay2021